Making Finances Simple. Changing Lives.
If you've already filed your tax return and later discover that you made a mistake (or if you received additional tax forms), you can correct the original return by filing an amended tax return. Here are some things you need to know about filing an amended return.....
1. You should file an amended return any time you discover an error or omission with your originally filed tax return.
2. Use Form 1040X to file amended returns. You cannot e-file amended returns as they must be filed on paper and mailed in to the IRS. If you're filing an amendment for a state return, check your specific state’s rules.
3. You must file amended returns within three years from the date your original return was filed (or within two years of the date you paid the tax if that date is later).
4. When filing multiple amended returns at once, prepare a separate 1040X for each year and mail them in separate envelopes to the applicable address.
5. In addition to the 1040X form, include all other forms that changed from the initial return.
6. It's usually best to wait on filing an amended return until after your originally filed tax return is received and the corresponding refund or amount owed is processed.
7. If your amended return dictates an additional amount due, include your payment with the amended return filing.
8. Check the status of your amended return by clicking here.
Contact us any time if you need help filing an amended return.