Client testimonials can be a great witness for your services, providing a good piece of advertising for new prospective clients to see. Below are several tips to help your testimonials accomplish their purpose....
- Ask clients for feedback, not “testimonials” – A testimonial can be too formal for many clients to provide, making them feel uncomfortable. Consider asking clients to complete a survey after your transaction with them. Then use that feedback as a testimonial.
- Respect client privacy - Unless you obtained client permission, do not include last names or addresses. The last thing you want to do is upset a client who gave you glaring remarks!
- Include links to screenshots of actual testimonials – It is more believable if the viewer can see the actual handwritten card a client gave you, or see the email time-stamps.
- Don’t edit the client’s testimonial language – Your testimonial will be more real if the client’s original way of talking is portrayed, even if their grammar isn't perfect.
- Use the best ones first – This seems obvious, but I have personally had to be reminded to prioritize my testimonials to show the ones that best relay my purpose. Don’t just put the most recent ones on top. They are your testimonials. Use them to your advantage!
- Don’t be too outdated – Be sure to always have recent testimonials (at least within a year); and don’t have the newest ones buried too far down among your older testimonials.
- Share your testimonials – Testimonials are pointless if nobody sees them! Post them in a visible place on your website. Add a link in your email signature. Email testimonials to prospects when applicable.
- Do NOT fake them – Never use fake testimonials or embellish their verbiage. People will see through this; and it isn't ethical.
- Don’t include links in testimonials to customer sites – You don’t want to take people away from your page with links. Instead, consider mentioning a customer’s site to refer readers, but don’t have an actual link.
HOW YOU CAN USE THIS:
Review how you are using your testimonials. Revise your website to ensure you are using them in the most effective way possible. Hopefully the above tips give you some ideas!
Click here to view our testimonials. Hopefully you'll find we diligently followed our own advice above!