The American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA) implemented by Congress on New Year's Day 2013 will cause filing delays for many Americans. Below you will find a bullet-point listing of how this may affect you.........
- The IRS will start accepting E-files on January 30, 2013 for 2012 tax returns
- Many tax forms are still being modified to reflect the ATRA changes and have not been approved yet by the IRS (most common forms include Schedule A, Schedule C, Schedule D, Schedule E, Form 6251 for AMT, etc.)
- Most forms should be approved by the IRS in time for January 30 E-files
- Some forms are expected to cause extended delays in filing such as Form 4562 (for depreciation)
- Refunds will likely experience a short delay until the IRS gets caught up on all form updating, etc.